Sunday, September 11, 2011

Feeling tired all the time

A friend of mine keeps telling me that she is very close to burning out and having a breakdown of some sort. I absolutely commiserate with her because I know how it feels to be overwhelmed, stressed or tired. But then I know how great it feels to be bouncing off the walls with energy. Have you ever felt so tired that all you want to do is sleep all day? We've all been there and done that.

The easy way out is to just sleep all day but that doesn't really solve the tiredness and isn't the solution. It really makes you more tired. The solution is to get more active.

I've been feeling brilliant lately because of a few simple changes in my life. Switched the TV and laptop off. Spent more time exercising (sure it's mild exercise and not exactly getting the heart pumping but it's something), doing a lot more gardening now that the weather is warmer. Hauling 210 kilos worth of potting soil from the shop to home for some gardening. Getting up earlier and staying up late doing household chores. Ticking off lines and lines of my 'to do' list. Spending too much on plants and gardening products but that's a different story :p

Instead of feeling overwhelmed from having too much to do or feeling guilty because of procrastinating - it really helps just simply leaping into the tasks that needs doing and organising them into your calendar. You can feel a sense of purpose, achievement and satisfaction. And oddly enough, enthusiasm and more energised. I stretch my days a lot more now and maybe because we're going into longer summery days but it feels great and I'm getting so much more done in terms of every aspect of my life.

On the weekend, I could have slept in and gotten up late or around midday. I could have enjoyed a lazy lunch out with friends and coffee in the afternoon. But instead I helped my parents with painting and cleaning. I planted raspberry canes and dahlia bulbs. Cleaned all hard surfaces and also caught up with some friends for dinner. It was action packed and it felt great.

Have you got lots of things to do on your to-do list but haven't done them because you're tired or procrastinating? Try turning off the TV and instead of delaying what you know you need to do, set time to do it today or tomorrow. You'll feel great :) It may not save you from having a breakdown or burning out, but you'll find yourself with more energy and that will help you accomplish more.

No comments:

Post a Comment